On 17th November 1919, eight ex servicemen formed themselves into a “Post of Comrades of the Great War” they held their meetings at the Wheatsheaf Public House. By December their numbers had swelled to 58 and they had a healthy bank balance of £2.1s.3d the first “Captain” of the Post was Capt. E.F. Bond M.C.
The British Legion was founded nationally in 1921 and Little Common wound down the Post and became a founding member of the British Legion. You can see a list of the founding members displayed in the bar. This document was extensively restored and preserved approx five years ago, it is an important historic record of the beginnings of Little Common Royal British Legion Branch and Club.
In 1922 a hut was purchased from Cooden Camp (where the golf club now stands) at a cost of £180 it was erected on the site of the clubs existing premises. The first meeting was held on 1st January 1922 and Captain Bond was the Chairman. The Gillham family featured large in the early days with three of the eight signatories for application to register as a British Legion Branch being Gillham’s. The Gillham room was built in June 1980 and was named in memory of Fred Gillham who had been particularly active in his support. Later additions included the larger snooker room and the dining room and kitchen.
The collection of plaques was primarily put together by the secretary Jack Martin and bares his name. It was initially catalogued by Alan Toze assisted by Alan Stanley, plaques have been donated in memory of those that have served in the armed forces and some by members who have served in the various branches of the forces. Another feature of the club is the Poppy window which was designed and donated by past President Pat Noble, who was a keen artist and provided many pictures to the club over a number of years.
Annually a competition is held over the winter months, originally called the winter competitions it was renamed in memory of Tony Higley who sadly died whilst serving as club chairman and has born his name since 2012. It consists of most of the bar games played in the club, Snooker, Billiards, Darts, Pool, Dominoes, Cribbage and shove half-penny.
Of course much more could be told in the nearly 100 year’s history, the Branch, Women’s Section and Club all stand as a testimony to the many men and women that have supported those committees over those years as well as all the members of staff who have worked for the club.